Thursday, February 9, 2012

Selecting the ‘Right’ major


The hardest part of college for me isn’t answering the questions that the professors ask but answering the personal questions that my life asks. I never quite knew how I fit into life until I’ve had to think about my life in perspective and finally decide on the big questions.            
After I finished high school I had little direction and even less motivation to pursue a college education. I had an inkling that I liked to work on cars so that’s what I did – I worked at a body shop and then at a couple dealerships and eventually finished an Automotive Repair certification at Gateway. A recurring theme from the old guys was, “Piece of advice – get out of the business.” Naïve me just thought they were old and crotchety. But I eventually realized – I too would one day be old and crotchety if I stayed in the business for much longer.   
While I was at Gateway I met a truly inspirational person that changed my life. Until this point I hadn’t considered a change of direction and if it wasn’t for this man I would have never considered college. So, I enrolled at NKU and signed up for a program that would use most of my Automotive credits – Career and Technical Education. After a year I lost my job with Saturn and I lost all my interest in an Automotive future – I couldn’t bring myself to become a teacher of a profession that I myself had begun to hate.                                                                             
By this time I desperately needed a change of pace and I chose the most drastic option I could find. I signed with a program called “Teach and Learn with Georgia” which was a program run by the government of the Republic of Georgia which sought to bring 1000 English teachers to Georgia over a five year span. As you might imagine, a post-Soviet country runs shady ESL programs. At first I really thought, what with all the emails and broken English, that this was somehow a major scam that I was getting into. It wasn’t until I stepped off the airplane, after a thirty hour flight, in the Tbilisi airport that I knew this was for real. I was now completely out of my comfort zone and well on my way to a life changing experience.                                                    
Fast forward a year and I’m back at NKU and loving college more than ever before. I became an International Studies major and am enjoying the variety of classes. It combines many different disciplines so it’s always something new. Most of all I actually enjoy my classes now (classes such as International Law; Comparative Electoral Systems; and Russian). When I began college I really felt like I was only doing it because people expected it from me, like, there was no real point to it besides it was just something people had to do. I experienced a paradigm shift – knowledge truly is a beautiful thing. Now, I can really appreciate the access to knowledge I have and I know for sure – no matter what – this opportunity is only the beginning of the adventure.  
 by Jonathan Hess
This photo is of Jonathan and his students in Georgia.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment