Saturday, February 25, 2012

Beyond the Classroom in Political Science


Northern Kentucky University is and always will be a home for me. What makes it so great for me is what I experienced outside the classroom. The support network and faculty willingness to help made my time spent here has made a huge impact on my life.

I am a dual Political Science/International Studies major with an area of concentration in French. When I came to NKU I had so many interests and no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I remained undecided for a long time, until I had to choose, really. I decided that I enjoyed people, connections, relationships, and discussion and wanted a career where that was a major component. I knew from day 1 that I did not want to be a politician, and quickly learned that there are so many opportunities available to those in NKU’s Political Science Department.

A degree was not enough for me. I wanted life experience. I wanted to grow and learn, and not just in the classroom. And THIS is my favorite part of my educational experience. I went to my advisor and said, “I want an internship.” We discussed options and possibilities, and I settled on a program in Washington, DC. I was fortunate enough to be accepted with the Department of Defense, and spend 10 weeks working in the world’s largest office building, the Pentagon. It was an amazing experience and my advisor (Professor Braden, who is amazing) and I were in constant contact. Anything I needed help with I could ask for.

When I got home I went back to the department for another internship. I met a great mentor in Vice President Joe Wind and interned in his office. Again, Professor Braden and I were always communicating about my experience, and how I could continue to get the most out of it. That internship eventually led to a student employment position and I have been able to apply classroom instruction to real life. Twice a week I am in the Kentucky state house in Frankfort, engaging in the political process and watching government up close and personal.

My thirst had yet to be quenched. Next on my list was to study abroad. NKU has a great program in KIIS and I spent another summer in Paris, focusing more on my international studies and French education. Who wouldn’t want to spend a summer there? I practiced French in the streets of Paris, snacking on baguettes.

I will be graduating in May and am satisfied with what I have accomplished. I am ready to join the work force and because of my education and the support that supplemented my degree, know that I will be successful.  College is about more than a degree, more than classes. It is about life experiences; I simply would not be where I am without the out of class extra support in the Political Science Department.
This is Kevin Donnelly during his internship at the Pentagon - "Next question please!"




No comments:

Post a Comment