Saturday, March 3, 2012

Why I transferred to NKU!

 I have lived in Campbell County all my life, so at the end of my senior year of high school, I decided to make a change and go to a university away from home. I couldn’t wait for the changes; new school, new city, new everything. I was excited to leave the small “community” where I grew up and become one of many in college. Unfortunately, this did not work out as well as expected. Although I enjoyed my first year of college, I never felt like I really fit in! I couldn’t adjust to the classes in huge auditoriums and didn’t know anyone. I learned a lot, but I wanted to change…. Again! Around this time one year ago, I made the difficult decision to transfer to NKU and move back home. I was very uncertain, and didn’t know if this school would be the right fit for me either.
                I knew when I had my first advising appointment that I had made the right decision in transferring to Northern as a Political Science major. Professor Braden my advisor sat down and spent an entire HOUR, (her lunch hour) helping me. She assisted me by going over all of my class choices, internship possibilities and answered the hundreds of questions I had about transferring. The personal attention I received made me feel safe in my decision to change schools.
                Right now, I am a second-year Junior. With the help of my academic advisor, Dr. Reilly, I will be able to graduate a year early and continue with my education through a Master’s Program in Public Administration with a concentration in non-profit work. I will start my non-profit work during the summer as an intern at Holly Hill Children’s Services. I will be working as a development intern focusing on preparation for their two major fundraising events of the year as well as learning about the grant-writing process. I am already beginning on the path to my future career.
Ever since I made my decision to transfer to Northern, I have not regretted it once. I am in classes with many of the same people throughout the day. The best part is that these classes are fairly small. This allows for professors to learn students by name. This also has given me a better learning experience through participation in active discussions. I get to do what I love to do every single day; talk (who am I kidding, I argue!) about politics!
                 All in all, the best thing about my decision to transfer to NKU was the personal assistance that I received from my Political Science department professors. They all will work hard to ensure that you are receiving the best education possible whether it is in your classes or internships. I am very grateful to the Political Science Department for not only helping me transfer schools smoothly, but also assisting me with realizing my future career goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment