Saturday, March 24, 2012

Making Connections and Developing Interests


Having been a part of the Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice for three years now, I’ve come to realize the wide variety of opportunities for students with various backgrounds and an assortment of interests. My life as a political science major began first with an interest in a political science minor. My first academic interest and true love belonged to mathematics. So, why political science? Well, law school had crossed my mind a few times because I was interested in pursuing a graduate degree of some type and I enjoy a healthy knowledgeable debate; political science seemed like a good fit.

So, I started taking a few political science courses and this public policy internship flyer comes across my desk. This Future Leaders Internship Program allowed students the opportunity to work for a Kentucky state legislator for one session of the General Assembly. Long story short, I was accepted to participate and the internship defined my interest and new found love for public policy. Words can hardly describe this life changing experience.


After a few months of service as a legislative intern, I was left wanting more. I sought out advice from the program creator and coordinator (NKU Vice President Joe Wind and Katie Herschede). I was directed to other opportunities like the Congressional Leadership Program (though Kentucky Congressman Geoff Davis’s office) and the Kentucky Center for Mathematics (a statewide center funded by the General Assembly that provides professional development to mathematics teachers across the state).
As these experiences (and others) continued I worked to make connections between my interest in mathematics and public policy.  My dreams of law school faded, I declared political science as my second major, and my interest in educational research and policy developed. My courses in mathematics and statistics, the lessons and major projects from my political science courses, and my experiences with elected officials and a state wide center that works with educators finally started coming together. I made connections between my interests, academics, and experiences in ways I didn’t think imaginable. 

My biggest piece of advice for students considering or studying political science is to make connections between your courses and around your experiences. Ask questions and consider the relationships between academics and work. Make the most of your coursework and don’t limit your opportunities because you think it won’t “fit” with your intended goals or interests. The department has opportunities for students who have interests in everything from international studies, law, political theory, American politics, to organizational leadership, and so on. The connections you make between the courses, students, professors, and experiences you have will broaden your horizons, maybe even in ways you didn’t think possible.

by Jennifer Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment