Monday, March 12, 2012

Research, Conferences and Graduate School

Alicia at the Celebration of Student Research 2011
             I entered Northern Kentucky University as a declared Spanish major. I was satisfied with my decision, yet I found myself searching for something else to complement this degree.  I had taken a Political Science course in high school, but my interest in this area of study was reawakened after taking an International Politics course with Dr. Weir my freshman year.  Eventually, I decided to declare a second major in Political Science to gain the experience and abilities I thought would be most beneficial to my future career goals.
        The most rewarding part about being a Political Science major has been the ability to study the topics I am most interested in, while being introduced to new, fascinating ideas and issues.  The diverse course selection has been fantastic in allowing me to study a variety of subjects.  I have been able to focus my studies on Latin American politics, while obtaining knowledge in a variety of fields.
        In my experience, I have found that it is easy to find something that you truly enjoy in most of the courses offered by the department. When taking International Law, for example, I became very interested in the global implications of the Internet.  In researching this topic for a final paper, I found myself geeking out about international cybercrime syndicates and the intricate relations between countries due to social and economic uses of the Internet.  Having classes that are enjoyable, as well as educational, has been a great advantage in helping me accomplish my goals as an undergrad.
        One of the most beneficial aspects of the program has been the opportunity to develop my research skills. By taking two independent study courses with Dr. Reilly to conduct research, I have gained applicable skills and knowledge in research techniques.  The courses were directly related to my personal interests, which made the experience all the more rewarding.  Independent study courses in the Political Science department have allowed me to create a unique undergraduate education that is already proving to be beneficial.
        Last October, I was able to present my research paper from my independent study course at the Ohio Association of Economists and Political Scientists’ annual conference.  This experience outside of the classroom showed me how my major has truly helped improve my academic skills.  The opportunity to travel and present my own work to professors from different universities was exciting!  I also happened to win first prize for undergraduate Political Science work, which made the experience much more gratifying.
        As I am preparing to graduate in May, I am already seeing the benefits of the education I have received as a Political Science major at NKU.  I have been greatly aided in my accomplishments by the outstanding instruction and encouragement by my professors.  I am ecstatic to say that, as a result, I have recently been accepted by the Political Science Master’s Program at my top-choice university

1 comment: