Friday, August 31, 2012

Welcome Back


Summer is over and official the beginning of another school year. I am always excited to come back on to campus and dive into new courses. As a Political Science and Organizational Leadership double major, I spend the majority of time on the fourth floor of Founders, a place I see as home away from home.  NKU has truly become home for me so walking back on campus, seeing all the familiar faces is warmly welcomed. The opportunities I have gotten within my last two years at NKU have been unexpected and this year has already brought so many more.

I am entering my senior year but never fear I still have two more wonderful years left at NKU. I have learned so much up until now and this year I am getting the chance to take the experience outside of the classroom. This semester, I will be heading to my first political science conference and am doing an independent research credit. These opportunities have come to me thanks to the amazing faculty within the Political Science Department. Professors know you beyond your name; they know what you want to do, what your career goals are, and what opportunities could benefit you.

The most beneficial part of the Political Science Department for me has to be my amazing advisor. Not only has she been a professor for six of my courses (I am tied for the record), but she has taken a distinct interest in my success. This summer, she took over an hour of her time to completely fix my life, well at least my class schedule for the semester. On any given day, she will ask me if I am interested in a new opportunity. This relationship has lead to me presenting during Celebration of Student Research, figuring out what my minors should really be, and so much more. With faculty that is invested in your life it is so much easier to be successful.

With this year being a major political year due to the Presidential Election, it is an exciting time to be a Political Science major. The courses keep you up to date and allow you the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding for the election process. As the semester has just begun, take time to prepare and start the year right. Keeping your eyes open to possibilities could lead to something greater than you ever imagined. 

- Katyln Farris

No comments:

Post a Comment